Sunday, November 13, 2011

Deja Vu

Yesterday we had a family garage sale at my parents' house.  Because Peter has been so busy with working on our new house and I've been busy holding down the fort at our rental home with the kids, we didn't have a chance to totally get our act together for a full-blown moving sale.  I was able to haul one truck full over to my parents' and made a few bucks, so at least our load is a little lighter before we make the move.

While at the sale yesterday I had a strange feeling that I'd been there before.  You know, that deja vu feeling? So many of the events in our life this month have coincided with last year, I told my dad, "I bet it was this weekend last year that I had my moving sale in Hawaii." I just looked back in my BeenUp2 archives and yep, I was right.

My brother and his family came to Kohala to help me pack up and also helped with my moving sale.  They were such lifesavers! I could never have done that on my own.

Last year's moving sale in Kohala

In case you wonder why my heart aches for Kohala...here is reason #341 (normally we could see the ocean under that frequently-appearing rainbow).

The last time I enjoyed the view from our bed in Kapa'au 
 Many of our friends have heard us talk about the infamous rooster farm (aka cock fighting establishment) across the street from our house.  You can see a portion of it off in the distance on the left.  We spent lots of time with the kids flying kites and learning how to ride bikes in the field.  It was a great life we had there.

Our container arrives
 The kids thought the container was the best thing ever.  It's crazy to see how much they've changed in a year.  And how their tans have faded!

The Johnston 3 band photo, from inside the container
 While not able to be with us in body, he was there in spirit and in Skype.

Peter directing the move from Mammoth
After my brother and his family left, my parents tag-teamed and helped me get the container loaded.  Then began the oh-so-not-fun process of cleaning that huge house.

It started out organized and ended up like this
And to top it all off, our projected moving date here in Redding is exactly 1 year to the day that the kids and I arrived in Redding with my parents, the day before Thanksgiving.  Like I said, deja vu.

No comments:

Post a Comment